As part of my never-ending campaign to obtain the coveted "Mother of the Year" award from my family every Mother's Day, last Friday Christy and I went skiing at Pine Knob -- about an hour north of Detroit. She hadn't been skiing in about 10 years and decided she wanted to get back into it. She asked if I would go with her, so I agreed.
But, there was one little catch. I hadn't been (downhill) skiing in 38 years!!!
We started out with a private lesson with a ski instructor for the first hour. Naturally, we started out on the bunny hill. But within the hour we both progressed to a "green circle" hill (rope tow) and finally to a "blue square" hill (chair lift). After that, we were on our own.
I pretty much stayed on the "green circle" hills. But, after about every fourth run, my confidence would increase and I would try a "blue square" once again. Then the "blue square" run would scare the bejesus out of me and I'd go back to my safe "green circle" hills vowing to stay there the rest of the time. But it didn't take long and then I'd get cocky and try a "blue square" again. Half way down the "blue square" I'd feel like I was going to break my neck for sure and would promise God I would stay on the "green circle" hills from then on if He would just spare me this one time. This process repeated itself for about 3 1/2 hours.
Christy, on the other hand, was much better at it than me -- both in skill and confidence. She stayed with me at first, but I could tell I was limiting her, so we decided she would have more fun if she went off on her own. We would then meet back together every hour and see how we were both doing.
She did mostly "blue squares." (see picture of all the runs above) While she desperately wanted to try a "black diamond" hill, (that's where her confidence and willingness to confront fear far exceeds mine) she quickly found out that there are various degrees of difficulty even within the "blue squares" at that ski resort. So, after trying all of the "blue squares," she decided she wasn't yet ready for a "black diamond." But, I am sure she will get there eventually.
When I finally called it quits, I went into the chalet, sat by the fire drinking hot chocolate and watched the skiers from inside. Christy continued skiing for another 2 hours!
All in all, we had a great time. And, fortunately, I came away from it with only two falls and no broken bones or sprains.
Will I go again? Hmmm...the jury is still out. But since I have osteoporosis, I'm not sure I want to tempt fate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Jim thinks "Continually Lying to God" would have been a good alternate title.
Yes, he is right. That's why I finally turned in my skis -- I simply couldn't trust myself not to try a "blue square" just ONE more time....
Hey, I was going to leave that comment myself. [She's always ripping me off - ideologically speaking].
The good news is: I'm betting you have "Mother of the Year" locked up - AGAIN!
Lookin good guys! I wanna go skiing/snowboarding!!
Looks like a fun day (to watch from the safety of my computer, not to actually do). I'm glad no one got hurt!
Post a Comment