If you are familiar with the Lake St. Clair shoreline in Grosse Pointe and St. Clair Shores, you know about "fish flies" in June. Technically, they are Mayflies, but everyone in the area always calls them fish flies because they smell like dead fish.
On Wednesday, they must have all hatched at once. They were literally EVERYWHERE. You couldn't go outside without them flying all around you and landing on your head, arms, and clothing. When they land on your clothing, you have to pick them off or you bring them into your house! I really don't remember a year when they were this bad.
They don't bite or sting and they don't make any noise. They just smell! And fortunately, they only live one day. By Thursday, there were still a few new ones around, but at least you could go outside without being accosted.
Here's some shots from around our house this past Wednesday. I hope they are finished for this year !!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow, that looks as bad as I've ever seen it. So glad I'm missing it!
ewww yuck!
Post a Comment