Tuesday, December 2, 2008

If a tree falls in the living room and no one sees it, does it make a noise? (or something like that...)

We had an adventure today with our Christmas tree.

Christy, Cathy and Matt worked hard this past weekend putting the tree up -- and it looked beautiful.


But, this afternoon, I came home after being out for a while and found a long note from Christy posted in the kitchen. (by this time, she had gone off to school) The note explained that she was studying in her room when she thought she heard the angel fall off the top of the tree. She went to investigate further and discovered the whole tree had fallen over! And, unfortunately, about six ornaments broke :-(



She did her best to try to right it but it was too much for one person and she had to get to school -- hence, the note.

So, when Chuck got home from work, we took all the breakable ornaments off and tipped the tree over in another direction so he could see the bottom of it.



From that angle he could see that the stand had broken. Here's what it looked like after he took it off the bottom.


So, now what? Do we take everything off, buy a new tree and then put everything back on? That was a daunting prospect.

Chuck thought we might try using a stand we once had for a "real" tree. But, after searching for about an hour in our basement, garage and attic, he concluded that we no longer had it. So, we decided to try using the stand from another artificial tree that we no longer used. It fit so he pounded it onto the bottom of the tree and we put it back up.

After that, I put all the breakable ornaments back on.



Here it is -- good as new. I hope this stand holds!

6 comments:

Cathy said...

omg i was laughing so hard i was crying when i saw that second picture of the sideways tree. Good post, I only wish I could have seen how christy reacted when she walked out of her room to find that!

Cathy said...

It looks like that stand is taller and there is actually room for presents under the tree now

Tedo said...

Sounds pretty fishy to me, I think Christy took that tree down....

Christine said...

Haha, Tedo.:)

Let me make a couple of corrections here: 1) there were 2 ornaments that broke, NOT 6, and 2) the tree was NOT on the ground when I first saw it. I saw that the angel had fallen off and that the tree was inclined, and looked like it was about to fall. THEN it fell when I tried to fix it.

Nancy said...

Sorry, Christy, but there were SIX ornaments broken by the time Dad and I got to it. We found more broken ones underneath the tree.

Anonymous said...

Try weights. Our tree has fallen over so many times that we now put a 25 pound weight on the stand at the back, under the tree skirt. Works beautifully.