Friday, March 27, 2009

A Different Kind of Eagle

My last post was about how we saw the Eagles in concert. Today, remarkably, I saw the real thing!

I was outside at Wiser Times when I heard a bunch of terns squawking and carrying on down on the beach. They seemed very upset. So I went further out to see what all the racket was. Lo and behold, there was a gorgeous Bald Eagle sitting up in a tree surveying the beach. No wonder the terns were upset. It was lunchtime and they were on the menu!

I ran back in to grab my camera but by then the Eagle had started flying. I shot as many pictures as I could. He flew out over the lake and continued to circle over our house. Here's the best of what I shot. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Cathy said...

that is so cool, I would be so awestruck if I saw a bald eagle in the wild and not just at disney world

Nancy said...

The first time I saw an eagle in the wild was on the beach at Wiser Times. There were two of them just sitting there... a chill literally came over me -- it was SO cool. They are so big and majestic looking.

Anonymous said...

Nancy - cool pictures! Pat and I were hiking in the Seney Wildlife Preserve in the UP a few years ago. We heard the eagle before we saw it. It had taken off out of some brush and was gaining height. It soared literally about ten feet over our heads. It's amazing how BIG they are!
Linda M.

Linda C said...

I was on Isle Royale in a light rain looking out on the harbor tired after a days hike, when I heard a slow whoosh of wings from behind me. In a moment a large bald eagle flew right overhead, perhaps only 20 or 30 feet in the air, and appeared to be aiming for something on/in the water. I couldn't see for sure because of the trees. The wingspan was huge - at least 6 feet, but perhaps 7 or 8. It was an amazing experience - as much for the sound of the wings as the abrupt appearance overhead.
It was over so fast that I couldn't possibly have taken a photo, even if my camera had been in hand, so I'm impressed by yours.