It all started with two new chairs...
We purchased two new living room chairs about two months ago. Since we special-ordered the material, we had to wait a few weeks for them to arrive. They did and we LOVE them. However, once they were placed in the living room, I decided the living room needed a fresh coat of paint and some new window treatments, too. I would do it myself... How hard could that be? I'm pretty handy and have done plenty of redecorating projects in my time.... I can strip the wallpaper off two walls and the stairway and prep and paint everything in a week, right?....
Not!
What I did not anticipate was the difficulty of getting the wallpaper off! This paper has been on since we bought the house (even though we've painted the non-papered walls before) so it's long overdue. I have stripped wallpaper many, many times but I have NEVER had the trouble I've had with this stuff. It feels like it was put on with rubber cement. The glue is not at all soluble. I've done hours of internet research and tried numerous different solutions and methods suggested on chat boards. But the best method I've come up with is to literally scrape it off in tiny, tiny pieces after I steam it really hot with the steamer.
And, even though I am resigned to doing that, I am finding I can only do it for so long each day. My 55 year old body is rebelling... Each morning when I wake up, I'm lucky if I can even get out of bed -- I'm so sore and stiff from steaming and scraping!
Anyway, I've been taking pictures as I go along -- it's been two weeks now and I'm only HALF done with getting the wallpaper off. I still have ceiling repair work to do, caulking, sanding, washing, priming, painting...
Think I need to revise my timetable a little bit???
Have fun looking at my project.
Got the room ready -- emptied the china cabinets, pushed everything to the center.
Then the work began:
(see those little scraps of paper on the floor? -- that's how tiny the pieces of paper are coming off...)
Where it stands now:
Thankfully, for the last few days, we've been at the cottage, so I'm rested up. But, tomorrow I must tackle it once again!
I will definitely post more later!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
holy cow, two weeks and only half done!?! Wish I could come help, I love home projects. I hope it gets easier!
Wow, are those chairs really as boldly pink as they look?
they are actually rust colored, same as the rug in there
Post a Comment