Saturday, March 27, 2010

Blast From the Past -- Final edition

I finished scanning all my parents' slides into digital files. I found some more great pictures. Enjoy!

The world's shortest haircut -- summer 1959. I actually remember that top. I LOVED it.



In the 50's and 60's, my grandmother would take us all to a resort in Southampton, Ontario. We loved it! Here are some beach shots from there with David, and another with my cousin Lynne.




Here's a shot of me on the walk to the beach. The second one shows Uncle Ken, David, Lynne, Ann and me. Don't you love the bathing caps? Yes, our mothers actually made us wear those when we swam -- even in Lake Huron! (It wasn't as if we were trying to keep hair out of a filter in a swimming pool...)



In the shot below, David is painting our toe nails! That's me at the top and Lynne next to me. The other two girls were playmates we met.



Here's a boat my dad and brother made. I guess I'm the guinea pig trying it out. (Note the cars on the beach -- they used to be allowed to drive on the beach)



We took a trip to Williamsburg and Gettysburg one summer. Here's David and me next to a Gettysburg sign. He would have been entering 8th grade and I was just entering first grade. At that age, I'm sure I could not read yet, so how hokey do I look? Posing as if I'm reading the sign!



My sixth birthday party in 1st grade -- 1959. Check out the party hats. My birthday is the day before Halloween. If you look closely at the girl to my right, you'll see her face looks like a clown. That's because we dressed up at school that day. She had gone as a clown and her mother couldn't get the red lipstick off her face!



Having a tea party after everyone had left.



The Christmas I got my "Patty Playpal" doll in 1959. They were all the rage at that time.



I was horse crazy for a time. There was a riding stable near our cottage that I always INSISTED on going to every summer. I don't think Lynne and Ann were as enthusiastic but they were good sports and always went along with me.



Me with my parents -- summer 1963



Here's me off to summer camp about 1964 or 1965 (?) Check out the old cars and old style suitcase!



David had a band one summer when he was in college. I'm thinking 1966? 1967? It was at the height of the Beatles and Beach Boys and bands like that.



Me, Ann and Lynne husking corn at Ipperwash -- late sixties.



Uncle Ken and Dad in 1968 at Ipperwash eating fresh raspberries from the farm. They both LOVED fresh raspberries -- couldn't get enough of them.



Here's Ipperwash in the winter of 1969. That's David and me standing out on the frozen lake!


David and me -- his graduation from U of M in May, 1969.



Here's me in David's first car -- a Fiat. He moved to Cedar Rapids, Iowa the first summer after college in 1969. In those days, gas station attendants pumped your gas; there were no self-serve stations. Some kid that was pumping his gas asked him what kind of car it was. He asked if it was a FLAT? We all thought that was so funny that forevermore, David's car was referred to as "the Flat."



Lynne, Ann and me -- Christmas 1970 -- We all got new bathrobes from Nana.



High school canoe trip in 1971 -- I'm partnering with Kitty Markey. (By the way, who stands up in a canoe?) Second picture is Robyn Mullinger and Sue Neeb (now Swigart).



Our family Sailfish -- Ann, Lynne, Uncle Ken and me at Ipperwash -- 1971



Different sunbathing styles -- Nana and me at Ipperwash in 1974



Lynne, me and Ann at Ipperwash in 1974



Hope you've enjoyed my little trip down memory lane... I know I did!

3 comments:

Cathy said...

These pics are so good, I can't get enough of them! We need to have a slide show of all of them when I come home! What is with uncle dave's hair in the bathing cap picture?

Nancy said...

It's a swim mask on top of his head.

Unknown said...

I had a patty playpal too! I also loved horses as a young girl and went to riding day camps for a week during the summer for several years. From age 11 to 13, I went to CYO camp for 2 weeks. wish I had some pictures of my youth. thanks for sharing.