Saturday, May 7, 2011

Adventures in Grandparenting -- Day 4

There's a few things I forgot to post from yesterday.  We've nicknamed Cyrus "Bam Bam." He loves to pound things and make noise. He is into everything --cupboards are his favorite -- and he loves to scoot up the stairs.  We're thankful for secure baby gates!    He loves to rock his body to music and can also shake his head if he is saying "no."  He calls Leili "La La" and we think he even said "grandpa."  Here he is playing with my sandals.



And here he is eating --





Now, on to day 4 of our great adventure.  The kids got up a little earlier today -- about 7 am.  Grandpa asked me if it was the middle of the night.  He said "don't these kids know it's Saturday?"  ha ha, silly Grandpa.

Since it's Saturday, we are taking advantage of the slower pace.  Leili woke up in a great mood and has been very cooperative.  She didn't eat anything except her juice (with children's Allegra mixed in) until about 10 am but then she had several servings of cereal and "hot chocolate."  (Pediasure & milk heated 10 seconds in the microwave).   Cyrus, of course, pigged out -- cereal (two kinds), a cheese stick, and grapes.  This was followed up by a full bottle of milk. 

It's really hot here in Austin -- it's going to be 95 degrees today -- so we haven't been outside as much as I thought we would. Anyway, this morning has been one where Leili has gotten to choose all the activities, since we don't have to be anywhere. She likes to be in control. :-) We've spent the morning playing Dr. Leili and tea party again. Grandma found another sticker book in her bag of tricks, too.




Later, I bribed her to brush her teeth by letting her choose a morning movie. It's the first movie we've seen so we thought it would be fun. She chose Toy Story 3. Here's how that went --






Have we tired the kids out or are they metaphors for how grandma and grandpa are feeling?

After a good lunch, (both kids ate really well), we played outside in the backyard for about 20 minutes.  But it was HOT. 




We went back inside and got ready for naps.  Leili went down well and so did Cyrus.  However, about a half hour later, Cyrus was up.  I could see him on the monitor standing up in his crib.  I went up to find he had a dirty diaper so I changed it.  I went back through the rocking routine with him for a few minutes and put him back down.  He cried but I left the room.  He immediately stopped crying.  I watched him on the monitor and he was just babbling happily.  A few minutes later, I saw him practicing walking across his crib !!  He would balance himself on one end and then walk the length of the crib without holding on to anything!  It was great.  He did it on and off for about 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes he got fussy so I went back up.  I discovered he had thrown his blanket, his snuggly lion toy and his pacifier all on the floor.  I put them all back in the crib and laid him down.  He cried but I left the room again.  In the short time it took to walk downstairs and see the monitor again, he had quieted back down.

That's it for now -- I'll post more later.



No comments: