Sunday, June 14, 2009

Chipmunk stunt gone awry

This morning I was watching a chipmunk climb up and steal sunflower seeds from a bird feeder that is designed to be squirrel-proof. In this feeder, there is a grate placed over the seed that allows the birds access, but is too deep and narrow for squirrels to get the seed. And, yes, it does seem to thwart the squirrels. But not this enterprising chipmunk.

However, this guy got a little carried away. I watched as he squeezed down in between the little squares of the grate and got underneath it. He was in heaven as he gulped up so many seeds that his mouth was literally stuffed.

He seemed quite happy except for one thing. He got stuck.

I watched him for a few minutes try to climb back up out of the grate. He was really struggling so I felt badly for him. I decided I needed to rescue him. I went out and tried to lift the grate up but I was afraid he might bite me. And it turns out he was stuck BETWEEN the two layers of the grate so lifting it up didn't really help him. And all the while, I could hear Mama Chipmunk in a tree overhead squeaking her head off. Either she was afraid I would hurt her baby or, more likely, she was yelling at him for doing something she told him not to try.

I ended up taking the feeder down and tipping it onto the grass so that he could more easily squeeze himself back out of the metal grate. He did and I haven't seen him back since!

Here's a shot of him while still stuck.


1 comment:

Cathy said...

thats so sad! I would have been a wreck feeling bad for him :(